Friday, September 5, 2008

Breaking the silence

It's been a while.

And when I've not blogged in this long, it's hard to know what to write. So I'll just tell a little something about Emmy Xiang.

Yesterday, while I was watching JE's soccer game and sewing a bit on EX's quilt (yes, THAT quilt...that 100 good wishes quilt. Sheesh. More to feel guilty about! It WILL be finished soon, Lord willing!), EX asked for a "peek uh kum," which translates to piece of gum. Of course, the gum was in the truck - WAY over in parking lot - so I handed her the tin of Eclipse mints. I'm watchin' and sewin' away, and not watching EX. The next thing I know, she gets my attention and says, "mint."

"Yes, you have a mint. Now put the mints back in my purse please."

"Mint." This time pointing to her nose. Hmmm.

"Emmy Xiang! Did you put a MINT in your NOSE?"

"Mint." (Looking a little distressed). Incredulously looking around....for what or whom, I'm still not sure. What to do? Squintingly, I peer into the nostrils. There is clearly a mint in the child's (very small and flat) nose! Simultaneously, I chuckle and question.....what should I do?

"Okay, Emmy Xiang. Mommy can't get it out. Ohh!"

"Baba." She seemed to feel better after mentioning him. He can do EVERYTHING, fix ANYTHING!

"Yes, we'll call Baba. But, honey, Baba can't get it out. Baba's at work." Sigh. So I call Jim.

"She did what?" Since he was with a bunch of doctors, he asks the pros what to do. He asks if I have tweezers. At a soccer game?!? RIGHT! Still, I try. Every attempt of mine to "extract" it is futile, and when I stop to question again, "what to do?" and sigh, EX puts her finger up her nose and pushes the mint farther! What now?

We walked ALL THE WAY to the truck and found the tissues. Blow, EX. Did she sniff or blow? I can't ever tell. However, it didn't come out, and I couldn't see it any more. Maybe she swallowed it? She no longer seemed uncomfortable. And she got that "peek uh kum" after all.

"Not in nose. Only in mouth, right?"

"Right, EX. Only in mouth."

Sigh.

7 comments:

Teresa =) said...

Oh, Tammy, that was a priceless post! I laughed out loud, first at the "peek uh kum" pronunciation guide...then, of course, the journey of the mint. Aren't kids hysterical and weird, all at the same time??

No guilt about not blogging more frequently...your posts are rare and priceless gems that I will gladly wait for!!

Thanks for the laughs!!

Teresa =)

Anonymous said...

Poppy and I both have tears streaming down our faces from laughing so hard.

What a hoot!

Love to all,
XOXOXO
BeBe

Jennifer White said...

This scenario is so you and EX! how hysterical. Thank you for sharing. It's like I was there and saw the whole thing, I agree with Teresa, I love the "peek uh kum"... and you sewing away, multi-tasking at a soccer game.
I love you all and miss you. Sigh, Jen

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

SO what happened to the mint?!?!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

This was just toooooooo FUNNY! BLess you. I just knew you were going to tell us you were advised by the pros to chew some gum and put it in her nose to stick to the mint to get it out. Should have just gone to the truck to start with huh?
LOVE it! Thanks so much for the laugh!
:)

Anonymous said...

The joys of a four year old!

Bee

Anonymous said...

HOW FUNNY!!!!
SHE IS SO CUTE!!!

LOVE,
KRISTEN