Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Sew what?!

Well, we had the purse sewing class, part 2 the other day. What fun!



The girls all learned how to make a crazy quilt squares. (My stars - the fabric that covered the floor!) The girls had fun choosing a focal point and then fabric strips to surround it. Then, they added fun trims and decorative stitching. It was interesting to see the manifestations of their different personalities.

Three girls finished lined zippered pouches with their squares, two made adorable pillows, and the rest just had fun finishing their squares...ultimate finished projects to be seen.

I think the girls learned something: creative sewing is fun. Evidence: the very next day the Elf and Ladybug went over to the home of the Bee and Rudy. They packed up my sewing machine, boxes full of scrap material and trim, rolled them down the street and had a blast sewing crazy quilt squares. They said, "we should do this everyday when it's hot outside!"

The next purse and creative sewing class is for my lady friends. Jim said I could have y'all over one evening! Stay tuned for a fun night of creative sewing!

Until then, my machine is burning midnight oil as our co-op sew capes (dress up!) and chemises (dress up!) and medieval gored tunics (more dress up!) While many shop for school supplies, we make "necessary" dress up for the historical time period we'll study. Hmmm......it really is one of the joys of homeschooling!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! What great training for the girls. Hope E can participate in something like this when a bit older! They all look GREAT! :) Keep me posted on the sewing...I so badly want to learn! Love ya! **PS-The Elf was MUCH appreciated yesterday in C'view....thanks for allowing her to serve our CG in that way! The children had a blast with her & LW! :)

Eli said...

I sooooo am wishing that i could be down there with you guys doing all of that stuff(that doesn't include the sewing part though)! B-)

Anonymous said...

Well I had fun, Eli! Who knows. You MIGHT enjoy it. Think about Aragorn. He had to sew EVERYTHING he wore as a ranger! Just jokin! I am actually glad that you don't want to crazy quilt! Wish you could come down!

Your Friend,
ElvenMaiden

Anonymous said...

ok...every time I see Eli's name I just want to see his blog! If you see this Eli...HEY from the Blackman gang! And I was a little worried at first with this post...sewing? :) Hey Browns!!! :)

Anonymous said...

That class was a whole lot of fun!

-The Bee

Eli said...

i dont have a blog. you might be thinking of the berry's.

ELI from pennsyvania

Anonymous said...

lisa b.

sorry if eli offends. he is really nice. he enjoys being funny!

love,
elvenmaiden

Anonymous said...

NO offense...I am just REALLY confused. Why is his name underlined!? :) Not upset...just scratching my head in wonder!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all you did mom
-Ladybug