Friday, December 14, 2007

Ramblings....

It's late. I should be sleeping - everyone else is. Second night in row of the "can't sleep because I'm alone and left to my own thoughts."

I must admit that I am struggling. How and why? Could it be the "post-partum blues" that my mom, so perceptively asked of? Sort of....for starters, I want to come home. Not just because I like ice or salad or my own washing machine (though I do!). No what I mean is I'm out of the "comfort zone", away from so much of what I (wrongly) rely upon...family and friends and their godly fellowship and encouragement; our home and the comfort of it; a real schedule...even if it is a hectic one, it is "real life" for us; my country, with people who speak my language...that is a comfort. You see, I realize that so often I rely upon those things and other means of grace that I neglect the Source of grace.

Plus, I am fearful of this change of environment, of situation, of life. I "knew" what we were in for with adding to our family by adoption, but I had not experienced it. God is truly using this to stretch me, and I feel like my muscles aren't warm and pliable, but cold, tense and resistant. I am really wanting a "normal" life and I'm battling a selfishness and I fear that my spirit of self-focus is wearing on me, and probably my family. Would you pray for me?

I am truly wanting God to change my heart, to make me more grateful for the moment, to make me content with my situation, to not be disillusioned because reality has hit. Please don't get me wrong....I am grateful for our new daughter, grateful to be here to experience the culture and land of her birth, but I am weary. I am trying to "bond" with her, but find it hard (I hope that doesn't sound awful....I love her, but I'm trying to get to know her...God will grow my affections for her as I look to Him....I know, but I must rely upon Him for that.) I am also struggling with fear...for the future, for tomorrow. My thoughts are not as lucid as my husband's are....His letters say things so well, so forgive me please, if I am not clear, however, would you just pray that the Holy Spirit would minister to me through whatever means of grace He desires...that He would work a miracle in my heart and turn my selfish heart toward Him and that my goal and purpose would be glorfying Christ.

Maybe these consuming thoughts have kept me from blogging to share our life here. I must say that it's not all grim. We have had some wonderful moments (and others not-so). Yesterday we went to the medical examination for adoptive children. Emmy Xiang has begun to express herself more and more (and many times it is quite the negative expression. This is HARD...we must be firm and yet, speak gentle words of encouragement on correct responses. So hard when she doesn't speak the language....we are trying to discern what she understands and what is unclear. This takes MUCH patience and wisdom....pray for us, please....and for a compliant spirit with her). EX was examined by a doctor who called in doctor after doctor to read over her file and look at her. They seemed quite surprised that this healthy child had been labled as a special needs child. ""She's not delayed at all, said the sweet doctor."She's completely normal!" Of course, we knew that~in fact, once you meet her, you'll realize how incredibly smart she is! We did get the best picture of her while we were waiting for the appointment.....it showed her, shall we call it the "not-so-happy-in-fact-quite-ticked-off" face. It was NOT a fun moment, but the picture says it all....Jim will post it soon. That night we went to dinner with another family with three older children who were adopting their fourth (a baby girl). We enjoyed the time with them.

Also, Emmy Xiang continally grows in the ability to communicate and understand us. She doesn't respond much in English (though she has a few times....surprised us!), she does use signs regularly for "more food please" and "thank you", for general "please". She points occassionally (though with that finger that most Americans might find offensive!), and she understands much of what we say. This is a great praise. She even responds quickly to our gentle reprimands when she begins to (sometimes out of nowhere it seems) pitch a fit. She may not stop right away (no, many times it takes time and great patience, something we recognize only as God's grace!), but she does seem to realize that we are not going anywhere, but that we won't tolerate fits. Keep praying about this....it will be a LONG time and require much perserverance on our part an patience on hers as she learns what is expected. May we use these times to point her to her need of a Savior, and may we then introduce Jesus.

The Elf has not been well today, so we hung out together and opted out of the tour of a Buddhist temple, the Old Chen House and a Provencial Arts and Crafts market. That time was sweet for us. I am so blessed to have a daughter who can speak the Truth to her mom, as I read what was really an encouraging response to a personal plea for prayer and was weepy. I felt like the child, not the mom, but I was so blessed and encouraged....(thanks, sweetie). When the kids and Jim came back, we enjoyed some Papa John's in the hotel and then most of us napped. Our day was slow and we are planning to not go to the Pearl Market tour tomorrow to have some family time with no agenda. I am looking forward to that.

I believe this post has been a source of release for me. Thank you for reading, for "listening." I miss you, dear friends and family. Thank you for being a part of this process. I am realizing how much greater than I could've ever imagined is this blessed event to which we've come. God has greater things than I in mind. I'm so grateful He's sovereign. That is reassuring for a girl who feels vulnerable and out of the comfort zone. HE is my comfort zone. I am even now, reminded of that great truth.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tammy,

I am so thrilled that you finally have Emmy and that she had a good report from the doctor visit!

Please know that you are in my prayers. I will covet yours next month when we get Tai! If you have time read James 1, the whole chapter and also Hebrews 11. If you look at the lives of the Heroes of Faith, many, if not all, had fear. Admitting that you have fear is a good thing..this means you cannot do this own your own. He is our strength when we our weak, and this will allow the Holy Spirit to show us His power working thru us. I am praying for your peace of mind, Phil. 4:7, courage, and joy.

Blessings,
Darlene

terrie said...

Hi Tammy, Thank you for your honesty and boldness to say what you feel and to ask for prayer. I had already prayed for you and EX and the whole family before I read your latest entry. I had a feeling something was "not right" and I was getting anxious for you. Please know that we love you and we pray for you and you are doing fine. All moms doubt themselves at times, especially when things are not going well and have not been going well for a longer time than we can stand. And we question our ability to be a "good mother". If you think back to when your children were small you'll remember that you had some of those thoughts back then. But then you see the fruit and the sun shines and all is right with the world. So hang in there, continue to rely on God...and Jim...and the wonderful wisdom of youth that your girls are blessed with. And remember - you're not doing this alone! I love you and feel for you and cry for you. Take care. Can't wait to see you all!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy, I'm on the CCAIWCP yahoo group and have been following your blog. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes after reading this entry, because I know exactly what you are feeling right now. We have adopted from China twice, and each time I have been attacked by the fear you have described. It is so hard to go through a huge life change even in familiar surroundings. Going through one in such a completely foreign environment is much more difficult. I know so well that longing for the familiar, for feeling as though you have your feet under you once more. Nothing you have said sounded "horrible". As hard as it is to share honestly, think how God will use it when someone else may be struggling. You are in my prayers, and you WILL feel so much better once you are home. You will find your "new normal" and a new routine. Please give yourself grace and know that what you are feeling is SO normal. God always stretches us for wonderful purposes, but it never feels good!
You can email me if you'd like - hawkfamily2@yahoo.com
Take Care,
Jen

Teresa =) said...

Tammy -

You have eloquently expressed EXACTLY what I suffered while in China. I wanted to love China -- the country of my son's birth. But I truly suffered while we were there and ached to come home.

You are a strong Christian and that faith will get you through. Do not feel bad for verbalizing your feelings...they ARE your feelings and you are entitled to them. Emmy is blessed to have been placed into such a strong Christian family. Your sweet daughters and husband will help build you up when you feel you are faltering.

I have been praying for your family and honestly am glad you are aware of your feelings...my struggles hit me much harder once we got home and I actually avoided Carson for three solid days. Awareness is half the battle -- mine caught me by surprise!

You will get through this and be a better person for the struggle.
Sending prayers and hugs your way!

Teresa =)

Anonymous said...

You said you are blessed to have a daughter who can speak the truth, well, I too feel blessed for the very same thing. I have felt your aching and feelings of "something being not quite right"....and I have prayed and prayed for comfort and strength for you. You are truly a remarkable person to open yourself up to the world with your honest feelings and questions. I pray that the comments from other adoptive parents is of comfort and helps set your mind at ease...you are not alone. Trust in God, his word, pray without ceasing and lean on those around you who love you. Emmy Xiang is one blessed little girl to be placed in your care. I am so very proud of you and I love you more than you could ever imagine......

Kendra said...

Tammy,
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Thank you for sharing and your humilty. I will be praying specifically for these things. You have such a precious gift in that Elf of yours God has given her wisdom that is beyond her years!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Well, Tammy I am ready for y'all to be home so maybe I can stop crying. I know that it is just God revealing things to me and blessing me through your lives. This all made sense to me. I have not traveled the world to adopt another child but I am often found outside my selfish comfort zone. I often wonder if I am a good mother and if things will ever be normal. I know that God is sovereign, you are an awesome mom and He will never leave us or forsake us. Not during adoptions, or fits or sleepless nights. He is there. None of our struggles surprise Him for He is our Father and Creator. I stopped in the middle of your post to pray. I prayed for comfort, wisdom and peace. He will make all these things come to pass...maybe not in your timing but certainly in His PERFECT timing. I am only able to remind you of these truths b/c people like YOU have reminded me in the past and continue to do so. I am not in the place you are right now. I have been and will be again. So I will remind you of God's great truths and you do the same for me. All will be well. I trust God for this. He loves you, Jim and those girls like none of us on this blog can. Jim does write wonderfully but I relate to your blog as a mother, woman and selfish sinner! :P He leads you well, rest in him, and ultimately God. Your girls always bless me...esp. that Elf. She blows me away sometimes. Rest also in them! Remember that God is bigger than any language barrier or sinful heart. I am glad the doctors had wonderful things to say. That is a huge praise! I love you and miss you friend! :)

Anonymous said...

Mrs brown this is chloe and i just wanted to tell you that i'm praying for you and your family.

i love you all

Sandra said...

Tammy,
I was just now able to stop and read today's blog. My heart goes out to you. I can literally feel my heart aching for you. I wish I could scoop you all up, bring you home, and make everything perfect but of course it doesn't work that way. God is working his plan at this very moment just as he wants it. I know that every thing will fall in to place. Once you get home and every one gets into their routine things will be sooo much better. Thank you so much for sharing your feelings. Everyone has been praying before and during your trip however we can pray more specific because of your honesty. I hope and pray that you will feel all of our prayers right where you are. You are never alone! I love you so much! I am so proud of you and your courage! Brother, I love you soo much too! We are all praying for you and the kids too! Mom, Dad & I have really enjoyed reading your journal entries! We are so proud of you! Enjoy what time ya'll have left of your trip. Get rest when you can and get re-energized. Love ya'll, Sis!

Mei Mei Journal said...

Dear Tammy,
It does take time for everyone to adjust to the new normal. It is such a gradual process. Take it day by day. Don't be afraid to express your feelings to friends and family and let others support you. Keep your faith and sense of humor.
You have a beautiful family!! Thank you for sharing your journey.
April CCAIWC
Mom to 4, soon to be 5

Carrie said...

Tammy
thank you for you truthful blog! I will keep you in my prayers. God is good and he is with you at all times. Just remember we can do all things through christ!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie,
Poppy & I have been away, so we are just now able to check the blog and get caught up with the happenings. Sweetheart, hang in there. You are out of your element, out of your comfort zone, and sound very home sick. Most of all, you sound very, very tired. We are happy to hear that the doctors gave Emmy Xiang such a great result on her physical. It sounds like she is very smart and that you are making good progress with her even through the bad times. We are very, very proud of you. Know that you are in our prayers. We love you very much. XOXOXO, BeBe & Poppy

Jennifer White said...

Tammy,
What wonderful loving insight and counsel from these women and your family. I was so encouraged to read them knowing how they could have invisioned you. I love you sista. Thank you for sharing your heart and giving us a piece of you while it's still raw. What a gift. (you've officially moved into the "deep zone"). Jen White