Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Diligent Duties



"By this time her old disposition had begun to rouse again. She had been doing her duty and had in consequence begun again to think herself Somebody. However strange it may well seem, to do one's duty will make any one conceited who only does it sometimes. Those who do it always would as soon think of being conceited of eating their dinner as of doing their duty....To be conceited of doing one's duty is then a sign of how little one does it, and how little one sees what a contemptible thing it is to not do it....Until our duty becomes to us common as breathing, we are poor creatures." -The Wise Woman by George MacDonald 1875

This quote was in the chapter we read for our Maiden Tea this afternoon. Everyone agreed that this chapter, titled "Lady of Leisure", was convicting. It is so important that we are faithfully doing our duty to our families and to God and that we don't fall into the nets of laziness. Prov. 31:27 says, "She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Wow! Let us pray together this prayer that was at the beginning of our chapter!

"Dear Lord, help me to be diligent in all that I do. Help me joyfully to seek Your will and not my own pleasure. Keep vanity and pride far from me. Grant me a meek and gentle spirit, and let me serve and glorify Your all the days of my life. Amen."

Elvenmaiden

PS All of the quotes and Scripture were included in the chapter! I didn't find all of them myself!

1 comment:

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

I love you girl! :)