Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It is FINALLY finished!

IT....is done. It's been almost done for about 6 months now, though it was started over two years ago (yikes). I just haven't pulled out the sewing machine to get the last few stitches on. So, finally on Sunday, after a lovely, productive, wallpaper-stripping, garage-cleaning, movie watching Saturday, I gave myself permission (ahem....an ultimatum is more like it) to drag out the machine and sew on the binding. Then, I sat and handstitched it closed.

Drum roll, please. Friends and family, may I present OUR gift to Emmy Xiang. (Remember, we all contributed. I'll get to the scrapbook thing next year. Just kidding):



I'm so grateful that my little daughter doesn't have to sweetly ask (again and again), "Mommy, when you gonna sew my blanket?"

Emmy Xiang is absolutely thrilled with it. She spreads it out and sprawls on top of it....and sleeps with it and hugs it. Thank you, Lord, for reminding me again WHY I love to sew!



If you're new to us and want to know what this "blanket" REALLY is all about, check out these old posts....they tell the story (wow, it really was over 2 years ago! I guess waiting for a gift to be completed is just part of being one of dearest my family members. Is it like that for you, too? Do you take advantage of the ones you love? Forgive me, Lord.):

http://downtownwiththebrowns.blogspot.com/2007/06/100-good-wishes-quilt_01.html
http://downtownwiththebrowns.blogspot.com/2007/11/last-call-for-real-for-quilt-squares.html
http://downtownwiththebrowns.blogspot.com/2008/05/burning-up-sewing-machine.html

5 comments:

Mammy said...

Can't wait to see it "in person"..it looks really good on the blog! I'm sure the "blanket" is even more special at this time in little EX's life than if it were given earlier. (A little earlier would have been ok, oh, I won't go there........) Your girls are very blessed to have such a loving Mom who loves them "sew" much!!!!!!!!!XXXXXOOOOO

Jennifer White said...

Yea! It's beautiful Tammy. I love seeing you and EX snuggled up under it. That's a great picture.
Well done.
Much love to you all. Thanks for the call this morning. It was a great way to start the day.

Jennifer White said...

Now about those scrapbook scraps.....???? Hum.

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

YAY! I LOVE it! :) Who gave her the soccer balls? My guess is Hannah or JE.

I loved seeing all the small pieces together! I still love that fabric we gave her. Holds Fond memories for me, praying she will treasure the quilt!

LeeBelle said...

I'm so proud of you finishing the quilt, but now I feel even more guilty about not finishing Faith and Laura's quilts (I think it has been about four years now!) By the way I love that watermelon fabric . . . I wonder who could have given you that?!?!

Love you dearest cousin!

Lee Belle